Carefirst volunteer service is the foundation towards the building of a caring community. Every volunteer counts and makes a difference. Our committed and devoted volunteers contribute to the well-being and high quality of living of the seniors and those in need of Carefirst services.
Volunteer Development & coordination
Carefirst considers volunteers as valued members of our support team. We carefully select volunteers and provide them with extensive training so as to enable them to provide a high quality volunteer services to our clients.
Carefirst has an average of 800 active volunteers per year providing service in the following areas:
- Chinese Bereavement Service
- Friendly Visiting/In Home Respite Care
- Hospice Service
- Telephone Reassurance/Security Check
- Transitional Care Centre
- Chinese Elder Abuse Prevention and Education Program
- Form Filling
- Tax Clinic for Seniors
- Transportation (group activities, medical/government appointments)
- Adult Day Program
- Exercise & Falls Prevention Program
- Fundraising/Special Events
- Marketing / Service Promotion
- Wellness Program/Outreaching
Office & Technical Support Service
- Clerical work/filing
- Concierge Desk/Reception
- Family Health Team
YOUTH LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT
This program is designed to effectively address the immigrant youth’s needs for adjustment, personal development, social inclusion and community participation.
- Enhance youth’s integration with the community
- Improve youth’s communication, team building and problem solving skills
- Cultivate volunteerism in the youth cohort
- Promote leadership and volunteer opportunities
Youth Volunteer Leadership Training Program is a five day training program for high school students the opportunities to acquire the knowledge in:
- Caring for Seniors
- Personal & Professional Skills
- Program Planning & Volunteering
- First Aid/CPR Certification
Information & Enquiry
Tel : (416) 502-2323
- Volunteer Development & Coordination – We recruit individuals from all walks of life as volunteers to play an active role in the delivery of volunteer services that will both support our community and improve our society.
- “Healthy Community Happy Community” Ambassador Program – Funded by New Horizons for Seniors Program, volunteers were paired up to facilitate sessions on falls prevention & home safety tips and healthy eating at our service centres, seniors apartments and other outreaching sites.
- On-going Volunteer Training – Volunteer Department Continually offered new training programs and enhanced training content to improve volunteer knowledge and service quality to address the complex care needs of the senior community.
- “V Corner” – Started in May, 2016, a bi-monthly gathering that provides a place and time for our volunteers to socialize and network with their peers. Initiated by the staff team, the V Corner is now led by a core group of our volunteers; in 2016/17, we have hosted 4 gatherings joined by 114 volunteers.