Service & Programs
Locations and Hours of Operation:
Richmond Hill Family Health Team:
Monday:9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Tuesday:9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Wednesday:9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Thursday:9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Friday:9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday:9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Telephone: (905) 695-1133
Fax: (905) 695-0826
Scarborough Family Health Team:
Monday:9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Tuesday:9:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Wednesday:9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Thursday:9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Friday:9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Saturday:9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Telephone: (416) 502-2029
Fax: (416) 502-8710
**Hours may vary on public & agency holidays
IMPORTANT: Please note that Carefirst Family Health Team does not use the email email@example.com as a means of communication as it is not secure for any private or confidential information with the public or patents for any of the following:
- regarding questions or issues of a medical nature;
- to establish physician/patient relationships;
- to book or cancel appointments; or
- for inquiries regarding fees, services or similar matters.
E-Mail communications regarding such matters will not be responded to. If you wish to contact us regarding medical questions or issues or with regard to appointments, accounts or other questions please contact us by telephone or fax.
We will occasionally send out e-mails regarding generalized health information to patients. Please note that when these emails are sent they are on a “do not reply” status. If you have any questions or concerns about this information in the email kindly call or come into our office.
Book an Appointment Online
We are excited to provide you with an option to book an appointment online with your physician. If you are a patient of the Family Health Team, click the button below to be directed to our booking site. You can also call the Carefirst Family Health team directly and one of our receptionists can help you book an appointment. The number for our Richmond Hill location is (905) 695 -1133. For our Scarborough location, call (416) 502-2029. If you are not a patient with the Carefirst Family Health Team but would like to enroll as one, select the Enroll as a Patient tab above for more information.
Enroll as a Patient
Unfortunately at this time, we are not accepting any new patients. However, if you wish to be added to our wait list, you can fill out our patient waitlist form. To access the form, please click the link/button below.
Please note that applying to the waitlist does not guarantee your enrollment as a patient of the Carefirst Family Health Team. Our search for and recruitment of new physicians to join our team is ongoing. As such, we are unable to confirm the length of your waiting period at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
Mission, Vision, & Values
Carefirst Family Health Team strives to improve the health of patients and families by providing culturally sensitive and holistic primary health care services. Our team of multidisciplinary professionals deliver timely, accessible, and patient and family-centered care in collaboration with our community partners.
To become a leader in innovation and promote high quality, integrated primary health care that responds to the changing needs of patients and families.
Patient and Family-Centered Care: We plan, deliver, and evaluate care based on mutually beneficial relationships and partnerships with patients and their families.
Patient Engagement: We engage with patients and their families to define their needs, make decisions, and take action to improve their health.
Cultural Sensitivity: We view all people as unique individuals and recognize that their experiences, beliefs, values, and language have an effect on how they interact, learn, and behave.
Collaborative Team Approach: We believe that each of us is enriched when we are able to work in collaboration to achieve shared goals.
Carefirst FHT Strategic Plan
Patient’s Bill of Rights & Responsibilities
Carefirst Family Health Team (FHT)’s Patients are entitled to the following rights:
- To be treated with respect, courtesy, dignity and privacy without discrimination as guaranteed by the Ontario Human Rights Code
- To receive clear and complete information about your medical health and management
- To receive information necessary to make fully informed health care choices and service entitlements, including information about who will provide particular services and their qualifications
- To receive medical advice and management options that fully meet the currently accepted standards of care and quality
- To give or refuse consent to the provision of any medical management service or program of care
- To receive information that promotes good health as well as prevent illness and injury
- To participate and be involved in the decision- making process about your treatment and care plan
- To have privacy and confidentiality of all information and health records regarding your care
- To address any concerns/complaints through channels provided for this purpose by the FHT, and to have any complaint dealt with promptly, consistently and fairly
Carefirst Family Health Team (FHT)’s Patients are responsible for the following:
- To provide health professionals with current contact information
- To complete and provide accurate information relating to your health and the public health services you are/ have been receiving
- To follow the treatment plan, as outlined by your health care practitioner, including the instructions of physicians, nurses and health personnel carrying out your co-ordinated plan of care
- To be accountable for your own decisions and actions if you deliberately refuse treatment or do not follow practitioner’s instructions
- To be responsible to keep your appointments, and when unable to do so, to notify the FHT with sufficient time to reschedule
- To follow FHT rules and regulations regarding patient care and conduct
- To report immediately any potential exposure to infectious disease(s) to health professionals
- To participate in hand hygiene and other infection prevention and control activities as per protocols
- To request further information concerning anything not fully understood
- To be respectful of the rights and property of the FHT and other patients and staff of the organization
Carefirst Seniors and Community Services: Client’s Bill of Rights (2015)
Northumberland Hills Hospital website
Ontario Human Rights Commission, ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE (1962).
Carefirst FHT Privacy & Personal Health Information Practices
Carefirst Family Health Team (FHT) recognizes that protecting the privacy of your personal health information is an essential part of our commitment to quality service, programs and care. We believe our patients/clients should know what personal health information we collect, how we use it, to whom we disclose it and how we protect it.
PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Personal health information is information in any form that identifies you and that relates to your health and health care including health history, health care programs and services, health care providers, substitute decision makers, health card number and other personal identification numbers.
YOUR CONSENT AND PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Carefirst FHT will only collect, use and disclose your personal health information with your consent or as required or permitted by law. You may change your mind and withdraw this consent at any time by providing notice to Carefirst FHT provided that there are no legal requirements to prevent this.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Carefirst FHT may collect personal health information directly from you or another person who may act on your behalf such as a substitute decision maker or a parent or legal guardian of a minor. We may also collect personal health information about you from other sources if your consent has been obtained or if the law permits or requires the collection. The personal health information we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to your physician at Carefirst FHT, and the care that you received during those visits.
WHY WE COLLECT PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Carefirst FHT may collect personal health information for:
- The provision or assisting in provision of health care
- Planning or delivering health programs or services
- Arranging referrals, providing supportive counselling and establishing interventions
- Health protection, health promotion and awareness
- Public health administration and monitoring
- Administering and managing the health care system
- Purposes related to the function of the Medical Officer of Health pursuant to the Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Conducting research and compiling statistics
- Purposes permitted or required by law
- Compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
HOW WE USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
- Carefirst FHT may use personal health information for the purposes for which it is collected, as listed above, e.g., to treat and care for you, as well as to:
- Get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer, or others)
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Conduct risk management and quality improvement activities
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
WHEN DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Carefirst FHT will not disclose your personal health information with any external person or entity without your consent unless it is permitted or required by law. For example, we may share your personal health information without your consent:
- With health care professionals for the purpose of providing you health care when it is not reasonably possible to obtain your consent, for example you are seriously ill or mentally incapacitated
- With public health authorities such as the Chief Medical Officer of Health and Medical Officer of Health
- With a person carrying out an inspection or investigation authorized by a warrant or by law
- Where it is necessary to eliminate or reduce a significant risk of serious bodily harm
- Pursuant to a summons, subpoena or court order
- To the Children’s Aid Society
To learn more about the purposes for which we disclose your personal health information, please consult our Personal Health Information and Privacy Practices Policy or contact our Privacy Officer listed below.
HOW WE PROTECT PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Carefirst FHT is committed to protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of personal health information held in any form. We employ physical, organizational and technological safeguards to protect your personal health information against theft and loss, as well as unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance. All staff that come into contact with your personal health information are aware of its sensitive nature and are trained in the appropriate use, disclosure and protection of your personal health information. Staff will ensure the amount and type of personal health information collected, used or disclosed is limited to that which is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. We also require organizations that perform services or provide programs on our behalf to protect the privacy of your personal health information and to use such information only for the purposes you have consented to or that are permitted or required by law.
Finally, subject to certain exceptions, Carefirst FHT will notify you at the first reasonable opportunity if your personal health information in our custody or control is stolen, lost or accessed by unauthorized persons.
Under our Personal Health Information and Privacy Practices Policy, you have the right to:
- Be informed about the purposes for which we collect, use and disclose your personal health information
- Request and be granted access, subject to limited exceptions, to your own personal health information in the custody or control of CAREFIRST FHT (by contacting the staff member from whom you received health care or health programs or services or by contacting our Privacy Officer.)
- Subject to limited exceptions, request and receive a photocopy of your personal health information at a minimal cost
- Request correction of your own personal health information if you believe it is incomplete or inaccurate by contacting our Privacy Officer
- Direct questions, comments or complaints about our policy or about alleged contraventions of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 to our Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer will investigate any complaints and take action to resolve such complaints.
- Complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner if you believe that we have contravened our policy, or if you are not satisfied with the handling of your inquiry or complaint by our Privacy Officer. The Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner may be reached at:
Ontario Information and Privacy Commission
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Tel : (416) 326-3333;
Long Distance: 1-800-387-0073 (within Ontario)
TDD/TTY : 416-325-7539
Fax : (416) 325-9195
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Carefirst FHT complies with the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004, and all other applicable legislation. To learn more about our information practices, consent, and personal health information, please consult our Personal Health Information and Privacy Practices Policy or contact our Privacy Officer listed below.
OUR PRIVACY OFFICER
Chief Executive Officer
300 Silver Star Blvd.,
Scarborough, ON M1V 0G2
(416) 502-2323 ext 6008
CAREFIRST FAMILY HEALTH TEAM COMPLAINT POLICY
Click here to open Carefirst Family Health Team Complaint Process document.
Frequently Asked Questions
- treatment that is medically unnecessary
- health services that are rendered at a facility that is not a licensed hospital or licensed health facility
- treatment that is generally accepted by the medical profession in Ontario, as being experimental, or for research or for part of a study
- treatment rendered for an illness, disease condition or injury that arose inside Canada
- ambulance services or transportation costs
- other services specifically set out in the regulations as uninsured or otherwise not listed as insured.