Diabetes Education services are provided virtually and in-person. All diabetes group sessions are offered virtually at this time. Individual assessments/ consultations are provided in-person or virtually based on our clients’ needs. All clients coming for in-person appointments will be screened over the phone 1-2 days prior and upon arrival on the day of in-person appointment at Carefirst premises.
Carefirst One Stop Multi Service Centre: Diabetes Education Program is funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care to provide focused services on diabetes education, early intervention and prevention of diabetes-related complications and self management.
Our program provides current, practical, culturally-relevant and customized diabetes education to help patients make decisions which will improve their blood glucose control. The program has multidisciplinary professionals’ back up to answer patients’ concerns.
Program is suitable for individuals with Type 2 diabetes, poor control of diabetes or those at risk for developing diabetes (prediabetes).
- Focus on patient’s self-management and skills enhancement
- Customized to individual needs. Individual counselling sessions with nurse, dietitian and social worker
- Group sessions with peer support
- Multidisciplinary team back up
- Feedback to patient’s own physician
- Follow up monitoring
Education & Programs
- Baseline assessment
- Understanding diabetes
- Use of glucometer
- Blood glucose interpretation
- Prevention of high and low blood sugar
- Nutrition, reading labels and cultural diet
- Diabetes medication
- Exercise and healthy lifestyle
- Foot care
- Preventing complications
- Stress management
- Diabetes Self-Management Program (Stanford University Model) – 6 sessions
- Insulin Start
- Individual Counselling and Teaching sessions by nurse, dietitians and social worker (by appointment)
- Education and Support Group Sessions
- Health Educational Workshops and Seminars
- Blood Sugar Screening Clinics
- Virtual Grocery Tours
- In-house Dinning Out Sessions
- Weight Management Program