Frequently Asked Questions


Service Questions

[lvca_accordion][lvca_panel panel_title=”In what areas does Carefirst provide services and program?”]Carefirst provides a full range of comprehensive community support services:
  • Health Care related Support Services
  • Community Support services
  • Social/Educational Program
  • Volunteer Development & Training
  • Youth Volunteer Program
  • Community Outreach Program
  • Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
  • Carefirst Vocational Training Centre
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”What programs and services does Carefirst offer for older adults living at home who require assistance with homemaking and meal preparations?”]Homemaking/Home Help Services[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”My parent is going to be discharged home from hospital in near future. What home care services can Carefirst provide?”]The Home At Last program provides quick response transportation, escort and settlement services for the patients who are discharged from the hospitals in Scarborough, North York and Southern York Region.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who can help me with translation when I go to see doctors?”]A Carefirst volunteer can escort the client to the medical appointment and assist in the interpretation. Please contact the Carefirst Volunteer Development Unit to make arrangements.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”How can I get help for grocery shopping/medical appointment/social activities if there is no public transport?”]You can contact Carefirst’s Transportation Unit to make arrangements.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Where can I find out more information about elder abuse?”]Carefirst has an Elder Abuse Prevention Program to provide prevention education and casework counseling for the victims of elder abuse, in addition to the Chinese hotline (416-502-2321).[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who can I talk to about the loss of my loved ones?”]Carefirst offers the Chinese Bereavement Services that specializes in offering professional and supportive services to Chinese bereaved individual and families in a culturally sensitive environment. Our services include:
  • Support Groups for the Chinese Bereaved
  • Individual and family counseling
  • Education seminars and workshops
  • Friendly visiting for the Chinese bereaved
  • Support network
  • Provision of culturally appropriate bereavement information
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Does Carefirst provide any services and programs for someone who just retired?”]Carefirst’s Social & Community Development Program provides a variety of programs for active seniors at our service centers. These include interest classes, health education and disease prevention workshops, festivity celebrations, birthday parties, excursions, chronic disease self-management program workshops and community orientation.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Does Carefirst provide any services and programs outside the service centers?”]Carefirst provides outreach programs across the GTA, especially to underserved areas such as Scarborough East, North York and Mississauga, where Chinese seniors have minimal access to community resources. Programs are offered at locations easily accessible by the Chinese seniors residing in the neighborhood. These include senior apartments, libraries, community centers and churches.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Do I have to become a member to join Carefirst’s social programs?”]No, but you may become a Wellness Member ($15 annually) to enjoy membership benefits when enrolling in any of Carefirst’s social programs.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”How can I become a Wellness Member?”]To become a wellness member, please contact the Wellness Coordinator according to your preferred geographical area: Scarborough & North York — Tel: 416-502-2323 ext. 6229 York Region — Tel: 905-771-3700 ext. 223 South Toronto — Tel: 416-585-2013 Mississauga — Tel: 905-270-9988[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”How can I volunteer with Carefirst?”]Volunteers play a significant role in Carefirst and make our programs and services possible. Volunteer may take part in direct service delivery such as escorting seniors, delivering meals, friendly visiting, outreaching, and group works; or may participate in administration work such as clerical duty and fundraising.[/lvca_panel][/lvca_accordion]

Eligibility Questions

[lvca_accordion][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for subsidized senior apartments, and how do I apply?”]Any person who is a permanent, legal resident of Canada and 59 years of age or older can apply. This includes Canadian citizens, landed immigrants, and convention refugees/claimants. To get the application form or for any inquires, you can call the Housing Connection directly at (416) 981-6111.[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for the Old Age Security Pension, and how do I apply?”]To qualify for the monthly Old Age Security pension you must:
  • Be 65 years of age or older
  • Be a Canadian citizen or legal immigrant
  • Be a Canadian resident for 10 years after the age of 18
  • Submit the necessary documents
  • Complete and sign the application.
  • To get the application form or for any inquires, you can call the Income Security Program 1-800-277-9914.
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for the Ontario Drug Benefits Co-Payments Program, and how do I apply?”]You are automatically eligible for Ontario Drug Benefits if you are 65 or older, and live in Ontario, and have a valid Ontario Health Card. You should apply for the $2 Co-payment if: Your net income is less than $16,018 (for single senior) Your combined income is less than $24,175 (for a couple) You can get the application form at any drug store. For any inquires, you can call the Drug Programs Branch of Ministry of Health at 1-800-405-0405[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who can apply for citizenship, and how?”]In order to apply for citizenship:
  • You must have been in Canada for four consecutive years,
  • Within this four-year period, applicant must have lived in Canada for at least three years or 1095 days,
  • Applicant must not leave Canada for more than six consecutive months,
  • Applicant must stay in Canada no less than 183 consecutively during each arrival,
  • The four-year period is calculated from time of application to the immediate four years prior.
  • To get a form, you can call Citizenship and Immigration Canada at 1-800-242-2100. or click this web site Citizenship and Immigration Canada
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for a pension from Canada Pension Plan, and how do I apply?”]You are eligible for a Canada pension Plan retirement pension if you have made at least one valid contribution (payment) to the Plan and:
  • You are at least 65 years of age; or
  • You are between the ages of 60 and 64 and have substantially or completely stopped working.
  • You can pick up the application form at any Human Resources Development Canada office or you can also order an application kit by calling 1-800-255-4786.
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for a long-term care facility/nursing home, and how do I apply?”]In order to qualify moving into a long-term care facility, a person must:
  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Possess a valid Ontario health Card;
  • Have health care needs that cannot be met with any combination of caregiving or community based services in the home; and
  • Have health care needs that can be met in a long-term care facility.
  • Application for admission into a government regulated long-term care facility can only made through a Community Care Access Centre. You can call or visit the regional offices for details and inquires.
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Who is eligible for home care services through a Community Care Access Center, and how do I apply?”]Anyone who:
  • has an Ontario Health card, has a medical condition that can be treated at home or in the community
  • needs support to manage at home and in the community
To apply, you do NOT need an order from your doctor, rather you can refer yourself by calling or visiting the regional Community Care Access Centre of your residence as follow:
  • East York: 416-423-3559
  • Etobicoke: 416-626-2222
  • North York: 416-222-2241
  • Scarborough: 416-750-2444
  • Toronto: 416-506-9888
  • City of York: 416-780-1919